If you know where to look, San Diego can be “America’s Finest City” for both you and your furry best friend. While dogs aren’t allowed just anywhere, there are plenty of places in this city for you and your pooch to enjoy together. Whether you prefer a day at the beach, a fun brunch, or live entertainment, be sure to know all the top spots for dogs in San Diego.
Best Dog-Friendly Beaches
Spending time at the beach with your pup can be a delightful way to soak in the sun and get some exercise for both of you. However, not all beaches in the area allow pets. Check out these spots if you’re looking for dog-friendly beaches in and around San Diego:
- The Original Dog Beach: This spot off of Point Loma Boulevard at the northern end of Ocean Beach is perhaps one of the most popular dog beaches in the country. Let your pup run free without a leash 24/7/365. Plus, you can hit the dog bathing station two blocks away.
- Del Mar Dog Beach in Del Mar: Also known as North Beach, the city allows dogs to wander leash-free from the day after Labor Day until mid-June. You can find it off of Highway 101 between Via De La Valle and 29th.
- Fiesta Island: This beach in Mission Bay features long stretches of sand and dunes for your off-leash dog.
- North Beach Dog Run: Just next to the U.S. Naval Station entrance is North Beach Dog Run, a beach where dogs roam free year-round. You can also find a foot-washing station and free dog bags. Just be sure to keep Fido on a leash until you hit the sand.
Best Dog-Friendly Restaurants in San Diego
When you and your pooch get hungry, there’s no need to head straight home. According to Bring Fido, there are at least 540 dog-friendly restaurants in San Diego. Some of the top-rated restaurants that allow dogs include:
- Lazy Dog: With locations across the San Diego area, Lazy Dog is one of the best spots to eat with your pooch. Pets are welcome on the patio and enjoy their own special menu.
- The Patio on Lamont Street: California cuisine for you and homemade dog biscuits for your best friend.
- Pier Cafe: Soak in beautiful ocean views while you and your pup dine in this beachfront restaurant.
- Union Kitchen and Tap: Sip a craft beer and enjoy interesting dishes with your best friend.
Other Pet-Friendly Spots in San Diego
While a day at the beach and a bite to eat are fun options for your furry friend, they aren’t your only choices. You can hit up any of San Diego’s off-leash dog parks, including:
- Nate’s Point Off-Leash Dog Park
- Dusty Rhodes Off-Leash Dog Park
- Capehart Dog Park
- Mission Bay Dog Park
- Grape Street Dog Park
- Kearney Mesa Dog Park
Looking for something aside from a basic dog park? Check out the shops at Seaport Village, where shopkeepers encourage dogs to come in. You could also check out the art in the Spanish Village Arts Center, go out on the water together with at Downtown Boat Rentals, or even rent pup-friendly equipment through Aqua Adventures Kayaks & Paddleboards.
Events for Your San Diego Pets
San Diego is home to several annual events that keep the city lively throughout the year. Some such events not only allow pets but celebrate your pooch. Consider taking your dog to any of the following pet events throughout the year:
- Hornblower Cruises Annual Pet Day on the Bay: Each May, this event welcomes pets and their owners to join together for cruises around San Diego.
- Unleashed Surf Dog Competition: Whether your dog surfs or you just want to watch other pups ride the waves, this summer event is a must.
When you’re all done adventuring with your pup, make sure you return home to dog-friendly apartments in San Diego. Our properties offer pet-friendly policies and amenities to accommodate you and your best friend.